Story | Centre for Science and Environment


Maharashtra may Allow Higher Floor Index for Green Buildings

Builders in Mumbai have sensed an opportunity to obtain permission for more construction area. The state government is now considering allowing higher floor space index for environment-friendly green buildings and is also considering other incentives to prompt more developers to undertake construction of such green buildings, said Valsa R Nair Singh, Secretary (Environment), Government of Maharashtra.

Click here for details


Mercury is a very toxic and dangerous substance. It is  poisonous in all forms - inorganic, organic or elemental. Mercury is a proven neurotoxin. Inhaling mercury vapours can severely damage the respiratory tract. Sore throat, coughing, pain or tightness in the chest, headache, muscle weakness, anorexia, gastrointestinal disturbance, fever, bronchitis and pneumonitis are symptoms of mercury toxicity. Health concerns should be reason enough for us to properly manage its imports and disposal.


Regulation on antibiotics use for animals

antibioticsIn a first of its kind, an amendment in the Drugs and Cosmetics Rules 1945 sets a timeframe for which animals treated with antibiotics should be kept out of human food chain. The Union Ministry of Health and Family Welfare issued the notification to regulate the use of antibiotics for livestock and aquaculture meant for food production.

Trans fat in oils

Oil is essential for our body to function. But that does not mean that we should take for granted the cooking mediums we use in our food. As the Centre for Science and Environment (CSE) laboratory report recently discovered our branded edible oils are full of unhealthy trans fats.

trans fats.jpg

Antibiotics in honey

BIS to Study Presence of Antibiotics in Honey

The Government of India (GoI) had directed the Bureau of Indian Standards (BIS) to analyse the study done by the Centre for Science and Environment on the presence of antibiotics in honey sold commercially.


Lead in paints

Modern houses are full of harmful chemicals. One of them is lead, present in paints. Though several countries have banned the use of this substance India is yet to do so, which is why paint makers use them. Inhaling lead dust while performing mundane chores like opening or closing windows is the most common source of lead poisoning. The human body is not designed to process lead. Young children are particularly vulnerable to lead as it can damage the central nervous system and the brain.

lead in paints.jpg

Toxic toys

We generally take toys for granted but this may no longer be the case atleast not if we are concerned about the health of our young children.


Corruption: missing the woods for the trees

The Anil Agarwal Reader

Front Page Teaser: 

IN OUR class-ridden society who cares for an ex-army jeep driver? And yet Kishan Baburao Hazare, now so fondly called Anna Hazare, has emerged as one of India’s leading environmental warriors...

Special Mention on Cancer Train

By H K Dua in the Rajya Sabha on March 9, 2011
Train No 339 leaves Abohar every night to reach Bikaner next morning.  Over a period of time it has come to be known as “Cancer Train”.  This train has acquired the dubious reputation simply because nearly 100 cancer patients travel by it from Punjab to Bikaner for diagnosis and treatment at the Acharya Tulsi Regional Cancer Treatment and Research Institute.

Follow us on

gobar times