The Centre for Science and Environment (CSE), India’s leading public policy research institution is looking to expand its work on minimising industrial pollution. The industrial pollution team of CSE is working to reduce the environmental footprint of heavy industries and SMEs, prepare roadmaps for strengthening environmental governance and assist the stakeholders in the implementation of various developed strategies.
CSE is looking for a Deputy Programme Manager to work in the area of decarbonisation of the industrial and power sector. The candidate will work on Green House Gas (GHG) intensive industrial sectors like cement, iron and steel, fertiliser, aluminium and others along with the power sector. The work would also include deep dive into various pathways for GHG reduction in the industrial sector which includes aspects of circularity, use of cleaner fuels, switching to cleaner manufacturing processes and technologies, adopting carbon abatement technologies, developing taxonomy for carbon intensive products along with understanding in depth international and domestic financing options to accelerate the decarbonisation journey of this essential sector. The role would require updated knowledge and regular follow up of national as well as international updates in the domain. The candidate should be willing to travel and visit industries to document first hand industrial practices, as well as engage with key government and non-governmental stakeholders in order to advocate CSE’s work further and produce desired outcomes.
- To conduct primary and secondary research, collect data, analyse and contribute towards production of research reports.
- To follow up and document GHG reduction strategies, initiatives and targets being taken up by governments, industries and companies in India and International arena.
- To prepare roadmaps, quantify progress by industrial sectors /companies in meeting their emission reduction targets
- To travel and document various pilot projects and on ground implementation of GHG reduction strategies by industries.
- Regularly write articles / blogs for Down To Earth about the findings and latest updates.
- Device a solid advocacy and engagement strategy (through social media, online/physical meetings, workshops, seminars and other possible modes) to disseminate and take forward CSE’s research work.
- To organize workshops/seminars to discuss CSE research findings on current and ongoing issues related to industrial decarbonisation.
- To conduct online and onsite training programmes to build the capacity of various stakeholders in this domain.
- To engage with relevant national and international stakeholders from industries, government, policy experts, academicians, think tanks and other relevant entities.
Qualification and experience
- The candidate should be passionate about conducting research and working in the domain of industrial decarbonisation.
- Preferably a Master’s degree in the domain of climate change, environment, sustainability or other related discipline with minimum experience of 5 to 7 years of working in policy think-tanks or industry. Specialisation in industry, energy, materials or related disciplines will be preferred.
- A basic understanding of climate change, decarbonization and net zero targets would be required in addition to a sound understanding of GHG inventorization of industries.
- Familiarity with power plants and industrial operations, thermal energy and material applications in industries, understanding of emission control/abatement technologies in industries.
- Prior experience of working on emission assessments, data analysis and data visualisation.
- Strong analytic and research skills (including quantitative analysis).
- Knowledge of data visualization software and dashboards will be preferred.
- Strong oral and written communication skills.
- Experience in engaging with relevant stakeholders from the government and industry.
Salary: Will be commensurate with experience and skills.
Location: New Delhi
Last date to apply: September 15th, 2023.
For online submission: Please visit http://jobs.cseindia.org and choose ‘DPM - Decarbonization’.
Post it to :
Ms. Jagdeep Gupta,
Executive Director- Planning & Operations
Centre for Science and Environment
41, Tughlakabad Institutional Area,
New Delhi – 110062
Tel: 29956394/6339/5124, Fax: 29955879
PS: Only short listed candidates will be informed.