Date – August 29 to September 1, 2018
Venue – Anil Agarwal Environment Training Institute (AAETI)
CSE’s Impact Assessment team organised a week long training programme on 'Environmental and Social Safeguards in Mines' (August 29 to September 1, 2018) for (16) officials from Geological Survey and Mines Bureau (GSMB), GSMB Technical Services (Pvt) Ltd and Ministry of Mahaweli Development and Environment, Sri Lanka.
The programme was designed to expose the participants to the impacts of mining on environment, communities and health, in addition to the legal systems put in place to mitigate mining impacts. This was done through a combination of expert lectures, discussions, class-exercises, (air and water quality assessment) demonstrations and a day-long site visit to Khetri Copper Mines (Hindustan Copper Limited).
Key areas covered:
1. Environmental and Social issues associated with mining projects
2. EC clearance processes in India (strengths and weaknesses)
3. Environmental Management Plan
4. Benefit Sharing
5. Mine inspection and checklists
6. Social Safeguards in mines
7. Impact of mining on bio-diversity
8. Mineral exploration / explosives used and its significance
9. Mine safety and compliance