Date: August 02, 2021
Venue: Zoom platform and Chairman`s Office, Bijnor Nagar Palika Parishad.
Time: 11:30 AM
Chaired By: Mr Shamshad Ansari, Acting Chairperson and Mr Manoj Kumar Singh, Executive Officer- Bijnor Nagar Palika Parishad
Attended By: The meeting was attended by 12 CSTF members (out of 15) and the CSE team.
Convened by: Centre for Science and Environment (CSE).
A City Sanitation Task Force (CSTF) is a multi-stakeholder and multi-sectoral body working in conjunction with City Sanitation Plan (CSP) to achieve the wider aim of citywide sanitation. CSTF Bijnor meets every quarter of the year to discuss the progress on the implementation of CSP. The members in the meeting also critically review the activities and tasks decided in the previous meeting and discuss on the action plan for next quarter.
Proceedings of the meeting
The meeting started with the introduction of the newly joined Executive Officer (EO) Mr Manoj Kumar Singh. He was briefed about the CSTF and the agenda of the 8th CSTF meeting by Dr Suresh Kumar Rohilla, Senior Director Water Team, CSE. A brief review of the actions taken on the commitments made in the 7th CSTF meeting was presented by CSE-TSU. Mr Govind Chowdhary, Sanitary and Food Inspector (SFI) and Mr Amit Gautam, Assistant Engineer (AE) briefed about the shortfalls and achievements despite the challenges faced due to the pandemic.
Following points and commitments were made on the agenda of the 8th CSTF meeting:
1. Malasur Awareness Campaign phase 2: Bijnor Nagar Palika Parishad along with technical partner CSE will implement the 2nd phase of Malasur Campaign in Bijnor city for the next three months. The 1st phase of the campaign was executed between 15th February and 22nd March (World Water Day, 2021). After that, the campaign couldn’t be continued due to a spike in COVID cases and lockdown. In the 2nd phase, BNPP will try to reach all the sections of the society for creating awareness and educating them about the harmful effects of unsafe disposal of Faecal Sludge.
2. CSE submitted a Detailed Project Report (DPR) of Decentralized Wastewater Treatment System (DWWTs) to Bijnor Nagar Palika Parishad (BNPP) in 7th CSTF meeting. BNPP agreed to implement the project through funds allocated in the 15th pay commission. BNPP will put forward the project in the next council meeting to discuss the implementation and secure funds.
3. Co-treatment of Faecal Sludge (FS) at 24 MLD STP: CSE briefed about the progress on civil construction of the project. CSE also discussed the necessary actions and preparations to be done by BNPP before the commissioning of the plant (for example regular decanting at STP, monitoring of private desludgers etc.) BNPP will take necessary measures to ensure that the emptied FS reaches to co-treatment plant. A survey will be conducted with help of CSE to make a list of households to be emptied for a period of three months as pilot scheduled desludging.
4. Monitoring of private desludgers: BNPP will set up a team that will monitor the activities of private desludgers and ensure the illegal disposal of faecal sludge. These teams will also be present at the ward level. A reward and penalty system would be adopted for illegal dumping and ideal dumping for desludgers.
5. Pilot project for small scale low-cost conveyance and wastewater treatment for sewage and greywater in 11 villages included in Bijnor expanded area was also discussed. CSE will help BNPP to develop a decentralized wastewater management proposal for these 11 villages.
6. BNPP will ensure regular use of PPE kits by private desludgers while performing emptying services. BNPP will explore the possibility of providing PPE kits to the registered desludging operators.